Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Buttercream ruffle cakes.....

I am soooo loving the trend for buttercream ruffle cakes. Why? Because because because I love all things vintage and this style screams vintage. Add a little bunting and you have the cutest simplest of cakes with a stunning effect.

Now - it's not as easy as it looks. I think my first couple of attempts aren't toooo bad - but I think I could do with a little practice.  Here is the first - an 8 inch vanilla sponge with buttercream ruffles.




Was a lot easier to do with a turntable.  Don't underestimate how much your hand and forearm will hurt from squeezing the piping bag!!!  Here is the side view - I am not happy about the "ripped" effect on the edges of the buttercream - not sure why it came out like that. Maybe it wasn't moist enough?

 
 Here is another one I did using a standard petal tip. What do you think? could be neater in my view. Taught myself how to do this - via online tutorials. I also made the bunting myself.



A little more practice I think. I thoroughly enjoyed making these.

Thanks for stopping by!

xxxx

1 comment:

  1. omg, so pretty! I may be behind the trend or something coz I've never seen this style of cakes before. The ripples are so breathtaking to look at. :D

    ReplyDelete